Young Professionals

The Young Professionals category of the IEC may be suitable if you have a job offer in Canada that will assist or contribute to your professional development.

The Canadian job you are offered should be of Skill Type A or B, or Skill Level 0, of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) in order to be considered as work contributing to your professional development.

A job offer of Skill Type C of the NOC could also be accepted if you submit an appropriate post-secondary diploma, certificate or degree, translated into English or French, as part of your work permit application.

The work needs to be paid, and you are expected to work for the same employer and in the same location while in Canada. Your employer must comply with all labour laws in the province or territory where you will work and also meet minimum wage requirements.

The type of work permit issued in the Young Professionals category is an employer-specific work permit. It can help you gain professional work experience in Canada, prepare you to compete more efficiently in your local job market or give you skills to do better in the global economy.